Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels|
The Japanese boxart for Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels.
June 3, 1986
|Mode(s)||Single player only|
|Previous game||Super Mario Bros. (1985)|
|Next game||Super Mario Bros. 2 (1988)|
Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels is a video game released for the Famicom, Game Boy Advance, and the Virtual Console. It is a sequel to Super Mario Bros. that, prior to the Virtual Console release, was exclusive to Japan.
This game is known as Super Mario Bros. 2 in Japan. The reason for it being replaced by another game in the US is that Nintendo of America thought it would be too hard for American audiences, and it was too much like Super Mario Bros.
The story is the same as Super Mario Bros.: Bowser had kidnapped Peach (and presumably turned everyone into plants and blocks...). however, there are 5 more worlds than Super Mario Bros., and therefore more Fake Bowsers.
- Mario - After Mario learns that the Princess has been captured by Bowser, he goes straight off to save her. In the game, he will be able to jump very high, throw fire balls, run fast, and face tons of enemies.
- Luigi - Luigi is almost the same as Mario, except he jumps about a block higher and slides much farther.
- Princess Peach - In the game, Princess Peach will get kidnapped by Bowser, and taken into his castle. Mario will then have to go through 8 worlds to save her.
- Toad - Different Toads will be captured and taken into the first 7 castles waiting for Mario to come and save them. They explain that Princess Peach is in another castle, which led to a long-running joke throughout the series. This annoyed many players.
- Bowser - Bowser has taken control of the Mushroom Kingdom, and kidnapped all of the residents other than Mario and Luigi. Now the brothers will have to defeat Bowser to bring back peace to the land.
- False Bowser - False Bowsers will appear at the end of every world other than 8, 9, and D. They are regular enemies with Bowser disguises on to fool you.
- Koopa Troopa - A turtle-like enemy that can be a projectile if jumped on first. There are two types of them, a green one and a red one. The green ones will run off the edge while the red will stay put on the platform he is on. If you jump on them and then leave them like that, they will come back out of their shell.
- Koopa Paratroopa - A flying Koopa Troopa that will jump up and down. Like the regular Koopas, these are either red or green. The green ones will jump off the edge while the red ones will jump back and forth on the platform he's on.
- Goomba - The most common enemy that will only try to run into you. They will sometimes attack in groups, where you will be able to kill them all while jumping once.
- Lakitu - Lakitu's are Koopas that sit atop clouds throwing Spinies at you. If you manage to kill one, you can ride the cloud.
- Spiny - Spinies are the enemy that Lakitus throw at you. They are red Koopas that have spines on their back, meaning that you can't kill them by jumping on them. In fact, they'll harm you if you jump on them! They can be defeated by a Koopa or buzzy beetle shell, fireball, or running into them while invincible.
- Buzzy Beetle - A beetle that is like a Koopa Troopa, except the only way to kill it is to knock it off an edge, hit it with a shell, or to ram into it while in possession of a Starman.
- Piranha Plant - A carnivorous plant that will pop out of pipes trying to bite you. There are red kinds, and green kinds. The green ones will stay in their pipe if you're right next to it, while the red ones will still come in and out. Red Piranha Plants will come in and out after the start of World 4. Some shoot harmful projectiles out of their mouth.
- Bullet Bill - A bullet that will be shot out of a cannon toward you.
- Hammer Bros. - A pair of Koopa brothers that will throw hammers. Even though you will usually find them in pairs, they will also sometimes fight solo.
- Cheep Cheep - A fish that will try to swim into you, or just swim on a certain path.
- Blooper - A squid that will try to swim into you, or try to fly into you.
- Podoboo - A fire ball that will pop out of lava.
List of levels
|World||Level||Setting||Enemies found (first appearance in bold)|
|World 1||Overworld||Goomba, Koopa Troopa, Koopa Paratroopa, Piranha Plant (green)|
|World 1||Underground||Goomba, Koopa Troopa, Piranha Plant, Buzzy Beetle|
|World 1||Athletic||Blooper, Koopa Troopa (red and green), Koopa Paratroopa (red and green)|
|World 1||Castle||Firebar, Koopa Troopa, False Bowser (Imported as World 1-4 of Vs. Super Mario Bros.)|
|World 2||Dark Overworld||Goomba, Koopa Troopa, Koopa Paratroopa, Piranha Plant|
|World 2||Dark Overworld||Koopa Troopa, Koopa Paratroopa, Goomba, Piranha Plant (Imported as World 3-2 of Vs. Super Mario Bros.)|
|World 2||Dark Athletic||Jumping Cheep-Cheep, Koopa Troopa, Koopa Paratroopa, Blooper|
|World 2||Castle||Koopa Troopa, Goomba, Firebar, Podoboo, False Bowser|
|World 3||Overworld||Hammer Bro., Koopa Troopa, Koopa Paratroopa, Bullet Bill, Piranha Plant|
|World 3||Underwater||Blooper, Cheep-Cheep, Koopa Troopa, Koopa Paratroopa|
|World 3||Athletic||Koopa Troopa, Koopa Paratroopa, Piranha Plant|
|World 3||Castle||Firebar, Piranha Plant, False Bowser|
|World 4||Overworld||Piranha Plant (red), Lakitu, Spiny|
|World 4||Overworld||Koopa Troopa, Piranha Plant, Buzzy Beetle, Lakitu, Spiny, Goomba|
|World 4||Athletic||Koopa Paratroopa, Bullet Bill (Imported as World 6-3 of Vs. Super Mario Bros.)|
|World 4||Castle||Firebar, Goomba, Koopa Troopa, Hammer Bro., Piranha Plant, Podoboo, False Bowser|
|World 5||Overworld||Buzzy Beetle, Piranha Plant, Koopa Troopa, Koopa Paratroopa, Goomba|
|World 5||Underground||Piranha Plant, Goomba, Koopa Troopa, Buzzy Beetle|
|World 5||Athletic||Koopa Paratroopa, Piranha Plant, Bullet Bill, Blooper|
|World 5||Castle||Podoboo, Firebar, False Bowser (Imported as World 6-4 of Vs. Super Mario Bros.)|
|World 6||Overworld||Piranha Plant, Buzzy Beetle, Koopa Troopa, Koopa Paratroopa, Goomba, Bullet Bill, Hammer Bro.|
|World 6||Underwater||Blooper, Cheep-Cheep, Koopa Troopa, Koopa Paratroopa (Imported as World 7-2 of Vs. Super Mario Bros.)|
|World 6||Athletic||Koopa Troopa, Koopa Paratroopa, Cheep-Cheep (Imported as World 7-3 of Vs. Super Mario Bros.)|
|World 6||Castle||Podoboo, Firebar, Piranha Plant, Hammer Bro., False Bowser|
|World 7||Dark Overworld||Koopa Troopa, Koopa Paratroopa, Piranha Plant, Hammer Bro., Bullet Bill|
|World 7||Dark Overworld||Blooper, Cheep-Cheep, Piranha Plant|
|World 7||Dark Athletic||Jumping Cheep-Cheep, Koopa Troopa, Koopa Paratroopa|
|World 7||Castle||Podoboo, Firebar, False Bowser|
|World 8||Overworld||Goomba, Koopa Troopa, Koopa Paratroopa, Piranha Plant, Buzzy Beetle|
|World 8||Overworld||Goomba, Koopa Paratroopa, Piranha Plant, Buzzy Beetle, Lakitu, Spiny, Bullet Bill|
|World 8||Athletic||Koopa Troopa, Koopa Paratroopa, Piranha Plant, Bullet Bill, Hammer Bro.|
|World 8||Castle||Goomba, Koopa Paratroopa, Piranha Plant, Firebar, Podoboo, Buzzy Beetle, Hammer Bro., Blooper, Cheep-Cheep, False Bowser, Bowser|
|World 9||Underwater||Piranha Plant, Koopa Paratroopa, Bullet Bill, Lakitu, Spiny, Hammer Bro., Blooper, Buzzy Beetle|
|World 9||Underwater||Piranha Plant, Lakitu, Spiny|
|World 9||Overworld||False Bowser, Bowser|
|World 9||Underwater||Goomba, Koopa Troopa, Buzzy Beetle, Koopa Paratroopa, Hammer Bro., Blooper, Podoboo|
|World A||Overworld||Koopa Troopa, Koopa Paratroopa, Piranha Plant, Hammer Bro.|
|World A||Underground||Piranha Plant, Hammer Bro., Bullet Bill|
|World A||Athletic||Jumping Cheep-Cheep, Blooper, Koopa Paratroopa|
|World A||Castle||Firebar, Podoboo, Koopa Troopa, Bullet Bill, False Bowser|
|World B||Overworld||Buzzy Beetle, Koopa Troopa, Piranha Plant, Koopa Paratroopa|
|World B||Underwater||Blooper, Cheep-Cheep, Koopa Paratroopa, Koopa Troopa, Firebar, Piranha Plant|
|World B||Athletic||Koopa Paratroopa, Piranha Plant, Bullet Bill, Koopa Troopa|
|World B||Castle||Piranha Plant, Firebar, False Bowser|
|World C||Dark Overworld||Koopa Paratroopa, Piranha Plant, Hammer Bro., Buzzy Beetle|
|World C||Dark Athletic||Koopa Paratroopa, Jumping Cheep-Cheep, Blooper, Koopa Troopa, Bullet Bill|
|World C||Dark Athletic||Lakitu, Spiny, Koopa Paratroopa, Piranha Plant, Firebar|
|World C||Castle||Firebar, Koopa Troopa, Buzzy Beetle, Podoboo, False Bowser|
|World D||Overworld||Hammer Bro., Koopa Paratroopa, Bullet Bill, Buzzy Beetle, Koopa Troopa, Piranha Plant|
|World D||Overworld||Koopa Troopa, Buzzy Beetle, Koopa Troopa, Piranha Plant, Bullet Bill|
|World D||Overworld||Bullet Bill, Piranha Plant, Hammer Bro., Koopa Paratroopa|
|World D||Castle||Piranha Plant, Firebar, Podoboo, Koopa Paratroopa, Jumping Cheep-Cheep, Hammer Bro., Blooper, False Bowser, Bowser [(Boss)(SNES remake)]|
The Minus World does not appear in The Lost Levels. A possible reasoning is that the programmers took extra care into the programming so that the players don't lose all their lives on a single course.
Up until the Wii's Virtual Console, the full game was never released outside of Japan. It costs 100 Wii Points more outside of Japan. Super Mario All-Star had the game: like stated earlier, it was not the full game. Super Mario Bros. Deluxe again featured the game: however, it was missing Worlds 9 to D, and the winds were removed. The game was under the title 'Super Mario Bros.: For Super Players'. Players from the US were finally able to get the full experience of the game when Nintendo released it on the Virtual Console, and the Wii version of SMAS.