The game requires at least two human players to play.Although up to 4 players can play (but only one Mic and 4 controllers or 3 for 3 players etc.). They take turns answering questions to different Quiz Types. If they answer correctly, they receive a certain amount of coins depending on the difficulty. If they did not answer correctly, the other player(s) get a chance to answer by pressing the A button on their controller. During the quiz, Bowser appears and helps out a losing player. After all the Panels have been used up, the quiz is over.
Speak up has several types of quizzes which are:
- Picture Quiz - where the player had to figure out the name of the spinning or altered character.
- Counting Quiz - where the player had to count a number of stars or characters.
- Memory Quiz - where the player had to watch a short video clip involving Mario characters then answer a question about it.
- Comparsion Quiz - where the player had to compare two or more objects.
- Variety Quiz - is a randomly selected question.
Each question takes up one panel. Some times when upturned the panel revealed a power up. As more panels of the selected quiz were turned over, the harder the questions became shown by 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 Star(s) with 1 star being the easiest and 5 stars being the hardest.
The game is controlled with the Nintendo Gamecube Mic but uses the A button on the Nintendo Gamecube Controller.