|New Super Mario Bros. U|
|Release date||November 18, 2012|
|Mode(s)||Single player, Multiplayer|
|Media||Wii U disk|
|Previous game||New Super Mario Bros. 2 (2012)|
New Super Mario Bros. U is a new game that was announced at E3 2012. It was released on November 18th, 2012 (the Wii U's launch). The game allows for up to five people to play at once, four on Wii Remotes, and one on the Wii U GamePad.
The gameplay is similar to that of New Super Mario Bros. Wii, with additions like the Super Acorn, which transforms the player into his Flying Squirrel form, and the choice to play as a Mii. Like New Super Mario Bros. Wii, players have the option to play as either Mario, Luigi, Yellow Toad, or Blue Toad. Yoshi is back again, and just like in Super Mario World, players can carry him when he is hatched out of an egg. Yoshi also has the ability to inflate like a balloon and float through the air. Baby Yoshis also reappear in this game. In Challenge mode, there 5 different groups of challenges called Time Attack, Coin Collection, 1-Up Rally, Special, and Boost Mode.
These are confirmed characters for the game.
|Goomba||Goombas are among the most common enemies in the Mushroom Kingdom. They're not very bright and will walk right off platforms, potentially falling to their doom. Mario can defeat Goombas by stomping them, or by any means he chooses.||Acorn Plains-1|
|Paragoomba||Paragoombas are winged Goombas, that are too heavy to fly, but instead bounce around. These enemies are more challenging to deal with than regular Goombas. Either dash past them while they're airborne, or jump over them while they're between jumps. Paragoombas become regular Goombas after Mario stomps them.||Meringue Clouds-2|
|Micro-Goomba||Micro-Goombas are very tiny Goombas that don't directly harm Mario, but climb all over him instead, reducing his speed and jumping ability. You can defeat these little minions by any means, but it's sometimes easier to let them cover Mario, and then quickly defeat them all by jumping around and spinning or perfroming a ground pound.||Peach's Castle-2|
|Grand Goomba||Grand Goombas are larger than normal Goombas, but smaller than Mega Goombas. Stomping a Mega Goomba will split into two Grand Goombas. Stomping a Grand Goomba will split into two regular Goombas. Talk about split personalities! You can defeat Grand Goombas more easily with fireballs and iceballs.||Soda Jungle-1|
- Acorn Mushrooms
- 1-Up Mushrooms
- Question Blocks
- Giant Question Blocks
- Brick Blocks
- Coin Blocks
- Giant Brick Blocks
- Note Blocks
- Star Coins
- Red Coins
- Red Coin Rings
- Flying Question Blocks
- Warp Pipe
- Yoshi Egg
- Checkpoint Flag
- Platforms created by the Wii U GamePad player (Heart platforms, Clover platforms, Spade platforms, Diamond platforms, Coin platforms)
- Green Rings
- Spinning Green Coins
Unlike previous New Super Mario Bros. titles with separated worlds, New Super Mario Bros. U has a seamless world map that bears resemblance to that of Super Mario World. The names of most of the sections are named after food items. Similar to previous games, there are Fortreses, Castles, and Ghost House levels within each world. Different themes are nestled within each section of the map.
- World 1: Acorn Plains - A simple grassy level with squirrel enemies, Goombas, Koopa Troopas and Piranha Plants. A large "Acorn Mushroom Tree" and a large mountain are in the background.
- World 2: Layer-Cake Desert - An underground desert level with a Fire Snake and yellow shiny Baby Yoshis.
- World 3: Sparkling Waters - A beach level with the waterspouts and the sunken ship with [] .
- World 4: Frosted Glacier - A nightime level with the spinning stars and the hills of snow.
- World 5: Soda Jungle - A rainforest level with Mega Goombas, Goombas, a Gargantua Koopa Troopa and large Brick Blocks.
- World 6: Rock-Candy Mines - A world with tall, pillar-like mountainous terrain.
- World 7: Meringue Clouds - A level in the sky with Mushroom platforms, acorn-like Goombas and magenta coloured Baby Yoshis.
- World 8: Peach's Castle - A lava area that shows similarities to World 1, with mushroom hills.
- World 9: Superstar Road - An area shaped like a star based with missions based on previous worlds.
- Mini Mario
- Super Mario
- Fire Mario
- Flying Squirrel Mario
- Ice Mario
- Propeller Mario (Post-Game)
- Penguin Mario (Post Game)
The gallery for New Super Mario Bros. U may be viewed here.
- This is, so far, the only Mario 2D platformer game that doesn't include Bowser's Castle.