This page is on the power-up. For the character, see here.
Metal Mario as seen in Super Mario 64.
|Item required||Metal Cap (Super Mario 64)|
Power Flower (Super Mario 64 DS)
Metal Box (Super Smash Bros. series)
Every character in Super Smash Bros. Melee and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
|Other forms||Metal Wario|
|Powers and Abilities||Invincibility|
Increased weight and durability
|First appearance||Super Mario 64|
|Latest appearance||Super Smash Bros. 3DS/Wii U|
During this form, Mario can cross fiery surfaces (such as lava) without getting burned, however he sinks underwater and can't jump as high (due to him being heavier) and falls at a faster pace. However, he is immune to all attacks, making him invincible.
- Super Mario 64, as one of the three different 'forms' which he gains from special caps.
- Super Smash Bros., going against him in Classic Mode. Metal Mario is one of the harder bosses with a high defense level.
- Super Smash Bros. Melee, transformation happens to Mario when getting a Metal Box item, or when going against him in Classic and Adventure Modes (fought with "Metal Luigi" in Adventure Mode).
- Mario Golf, unlocked after obtaining 108 Birdie Badges in Tournament mode.
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl, transformation happens to Mario when getting a Metal Box item. This is the first time he does not appear as a character in Classic Mode.
- Mario Tennis Open, as a playable character, unlockable with QR code. He's the only QR downloadable character that's not a Yoshi.
- Super Mario 64 DS: In this game, Wario can transform into Metal Wario by using a Power Flower.
- Super Smash Bros. 3DS/Wii U: The Metal Box has been confirmed for this game meaning the metal forms will return as well.
- Due to Mario's shiny appearance while using a metal box, this powerup is commonly mistaken for Shadow Mario from Super Mario Sunshine.
- Metal Mario is similar to Rock Mario (Super Mario Galaxy 2) because both power ups allow Mario to wear a natural solid elemental suit (Steel and Rock, respectively).
- This power-up is used by Wario who is known as Metal Wario.
- If one would look closely on Metal Mario's Melee trophy, one can see a reflection of the Yoshi's Island (Melee) stage, mostly on his nose.