The Mega Goomba as it appears in New Super Mario Bros.
|First Game||Super Mario Bros. 3|
The Mega Goomba is a large Goomba who first appeared in Super Mario Bros. 3 that appears in World 4-1. In New Super Mario Bros, it acted as one of the bosses in the game. It guarded the fourth castle that Mario had to travel through to rescue Princess Peach. When Mario encountered him, he had to activate certain platforms by stomping on a switch, that would take him to the top of the Goomba. Mario could then Ground-Pound the Goomba three times (or hit it with 27 fireballs), defeating it. The Mega Goomba appears as a somewhat rare enemy which is renamed to giant Goomba in Super Smash Bros. Brawl's Subspace Emissary. Its latest appearance was in Mario Party 10, where he acts as a miniboss associated to the Mushroom Park board.
- Giant Stomp Walk: This is Mega Goomba's only attack that he stomps hoping to crush Mario.
- New Super Mario Bros DS, crouching in the bottom corner. The Mega Goombas pause once Mario /Luigi hide there, then they turn around. There are also holes in the ground where the Mega Goomba can hide
- New Super Mario Bros Wii, shooting them repeatedly with fire balls will break them apart
- All versions of the Mega Goombas are susceptible to fire and jumping
- This Goomba originated in the very first previews of New Super Mario Bros. or as it was called back then, Super Mario Bros. DS in which it was a normal level enemy Goomba until it was caught in contact with a Mega Mushroom which made it the same size as it was in the current game. This new and innovative feature was taken out for unknown reasons, possibly due to the game being extremely hard if certain enemies turned mega.
- When the Mega Goomba grows, it makes a sound similar to Mario changing into Mega Mario, only it is somewhat more evil-sounding.
- The Mega Goomba is the second Goomba boss the first being Goomboss.