|Mario Party 3|
The North American boxart for Mario Party 3.
|Release date|| December 7, 2000|
May 7, 2001
November 16, 2001
|Mode(s)||Single Player, Multiplayer|
|Ratings||ESRB: E (Everyone)|
|Previous game||Mario Party 2|
|Next game||Mario Party 4|
Mario Party 3 is the third installment of the popular Mario Party series and was the last game of the franchise to be released for the Nintendo 64. The game is centered around the Millennium Star, who replaces Toad as the host. Mario Party 3 has 67 all new mini-games, and players can now hold up to three items. It also offers a special twist to the game unique in the Mario Party series: duel boards, where players fight each other using partners like Goombas. It is also the first Mario Party game to introduce Princess Daisy and Waluigi as playable characters.
A Star is Born: In the center of the vast universe, a remarkably bright star was born. It was the star that is born only once in a thousand years, the Millennium Star. According to the legend, whoever possessed the mystical star was destined to become the Superstar of the universe. However since the Millennium Star was but a newborn, it fell from the starry sky. Around that time, Mario and his friends were all happily relaxing when suddenly the Millennium Star came crashing down. Mario and his friends soon started to argue about who should keep the Millennium Star. Suddenly, the Millennium Star gave off a brilliantly bright flash of light. And with that bright flash, Mario and his friends were transported into a toy box! "Greetings. I am the Millennium Star. You must pass my test to prove yourself worthy of possessing me. You must journey across many lands and collect the Star Stamps. If you can collect all seven, I shall accept you as the top Superstar in the universe." Who will collect the seven Star Stamps and become the universe's top Superstar?
In Battle Royale Mode, players have to get as many Stars as possible. Stars cost 20 coins.
In Duel Mode, players have to erase the opponent's health. Every player has five pieces of heart as health.
|Wit||Clear Chilly Waters, then defeat Wario in Gate Guy.|
|Kindness||Clear Deep Bloober Sea, then defeat Yoshi in Arrowhead.|
|Strength||Clear Spiny Desert, then defeat Donkey Kong in Pipesqueak.|
|Love||Clear Woody Woods, then defeat Peach in Blowhard.|
|Courage||Clear Creepy Cavern, then defeat Mario in Mr. Mover.|
|Beauty||Defeat Daisy in Backtrack.|
|Mischief||Beat Waluigi and two other CPUs in Waluigi's Island.|
If the player chooses one of five original characters, then Luigi will replace them on their own Duel Board, claiming that he deserves the stamp.
The game brings back the original six playable characters from the last two Mario Party games and introduces two new playable characters, Princess Daisy and Waluigi. However, they can only be playable in Party Mode.
|Character||Duel Partner||Favorite Item|
|Koopa Troopa||Golden Mushroom|
|Piranha Plant||Poison Mushroom|
|Partner||Attack||Stamina||Salary||Default Partner||Unique Abilities|
|1||2||1 Coin||Mario||Can attack in both directions.|
|1||1||1 Coin||Peach||Protects the player from having their coins stolen by landing on their rival's Basic Space.|
|2||1||3 Coins||Yoshi||When attacked, counterattacks before disappearing.|
|1||1||3 Coins||Wario||Attacks the player's rival directly, but only lasts one attack.|
|0||4||3 Coins||Donkey Kong||None|
|2||2||5 Coins||Daisy||Can sometimes find two to four coins.|
|3||1||5 Coins||Waluigi||Sometimes finds an Extra 1-3 Dice Block.|
|1||3||2 Coins||None||Attacks the character farthest away from him.|
|0||2||4 Coins||None||Defeats a partner instantly.|
|1||2||6 Coins||None||Attacks the player's rival directly, jumping over their partner.|
|1||1||3 Coins||None||Occasionally transforms into Bowser and does triple damage; otherwise, does nothing.|
Battle Royale Boards
In Story Mode, the player's character faces three random characters on these boards to earn Star Stamps.
- Chilly Waters - 3 Random Characters except Wario (Luigi if the player is Wario)
- Deep Bloober Sea - 3 Random Characters except Yoshi (Luigi if the player is Yoshi)
- Spiny Desert - 3 Random Characters except Donkey Kong (Luigi if the player is Donkey Kong)
- Woody Woods - 3 Random Characters except Peach (Luigi if the player is Peach)
- Creepy Cavern - 3 Random Characters except Mario (Luigi if the player is Mario)
- Waluigi's Island - Waluigi and 2 Random Characters
In Story Mode, the player's character faces one particular character (depending on what board the player's playing) to earn Star Stamps. If you have chosen the character of that particular board, you'll face Luigi.
- Gate Guy - Wario
- Arrowhead - Yoshi
- Pipesqueak - Donkey Kong
- Blowhard - Peach
- Mr. Mover - Mario
- Backtrack - Daisy
|Sold by Toad|
|Mushroom||5 Coins||Allows the player to roll two Dice Blocks instead of one.|
|Cellular Shopper||5 Coins||Allows the player to call Toad or Baby Bowser's shop at any time. Daisy's favorite item.|
|Warp Block||5 Coins||Switches the user and another random player's positions. Yoshi's favorite item.|
|Dueling Glove||10 Coins||Allows the player to duel anyone they want in a Duel minigame. Wario's favorite item.|
|Golden Mushroom||10 Coins||Allows the player to roll three Dice Blocks instead of one or two. Mario's favorite item.|
|Boo Repellent||10 Coins||Protects the player from getting coins or stars stolen by Boo.|
|Magic Lamp||20 Coins||Summons the Mushroom Genie, who takes the player directly to the star (the player still needs to pay 20 coins for the star though).|
|Sold by Baby Bowser|
|Reverse Mushroom||5 Coins||Makes the player affected by it go backwards the next turn. This item can be used by anyone, including the user itself. DK's favorite item.|
|Poison Mushroom||5 Coins||Only lets the player affected by it roll a 1, 2, or 3. This item can be used by anyone, including the user itself. Waluigi's favorite item.|
|Bowser Phone||10 Coins||Allows the player to call Bowser at any time to harm a player (including the user itself).|
|Bowser Suit||10 Coins||Makes the player a dress resembling Bowser. Anyone the player passes will lose 20 coins to that player.|
|Lucky Lamp||10 Coins||Summons the Mushroom Jeanie, who will move the star to a different location.|
|Plunder Chest||10 Coins||Steals a random item from a player. Peach's favorite item.|
|Boo Bell||15 Coins||Allows the player to call Boo at any time to steal coins or stars from a certain player.|
|Sold by Both|
|Skeleton Key||5 Coins||Allows the player to pass through special gates that only a player with the key can enter. Luigi's favorite item.|
|Item Bag||30 Coins||Gives the player three random items (can include rare items).|
|Wacky Watch||N/A||Advances the game to the Last Five Turns. Can either be used to shorten or extend the game.|
|Barter Box||N/A||Swaps the all the items of the user with another player.|
|Koopa Kard||N/A||Allows the player to earn all the coins deposited into the Koopa Bank simply by passing it.|
|Lucky Charm||N/A||Forces a player to play a Game Guy minigame (can be the player itself).|
- This is the first Mario Party game to feature a Story Mode.
- This is the first Mario Party game to feature Daisy and Waluigi as playable characters.
- This is the final Mario game to be released for the Nintendo 64.
- This is also the third and final Mario Party game to be released for the Nintendo 64. The next game (Mario Party 4) is released on the Nintendo GameCube.
- This is the first Mario Party game to feature Mario's main voice, Luigi's main voice, Peach's main voice, and Wario's main voice replacing voice clips from first two Mario Party games and the third and final Mario Party game to feature Yoshi's sound effects from two Mario Party games.
- This is Princess Daisy's fourth appearance in a Mario game. Her first three were in Super Mario Land for the Game Boy, NES Open Tournament Golf for the NES and Mario Tennis for the Nintendo 64.
- This is Waluigi's second appearance in a Mario game. His first was in Mario Tennis for the Nintendo 64.
- Waluigi, on a rare occasion, plays the main villainous role instead of Bowser. He plays the villainous role in Story Mode.
- This also makes this the first Mario Party game to have new playable characters. (As Mario Party was the first game, and Mario Party 2 only had the same characters from Mario Party, with no new ones added to it)
- Waluigi is also the only playable character in Mario Party 3 who has a board named after him.
- Counting the Duel Mode's boards, Mario Party 3 has more boards than any other Mario Party game.
- This is the first Mario Party game to feature three different save files.
- Waluigi and Daisy are the only playable characters in this game to have their own theme songs.
|Mario Party | Mario Party 2 | Mario Party 3 | Mario Party 4 | Mario Party 5 | Mario Party 6 | Mario Party 7 | Mario Party 8 | Mario Party 9 | Mario Party 10 | Mario Party Advance | Mario Party-e | Mario Party DS | Mario Party: Island Tour | Mario Party: Star Rush | Mario Party: The Top 100|