|Mario Kart 7|
North American box art for Mario Kart 7.
|Release date|| December 1, 2011|
December 4, 2011
December 2, 2011
December 3, 2011
|Mode(s)||Single Player, Multiplayer|
CERO: All ages
DEJUS: General audience
PEGI: Three years and older
USK: All ages
|Previous game||Mario Kart Wii (2008)|
|Next game||Mario Kart 8 (2014)|
Mario Kart 7 (Japanese:マリオカート7 Mariokāto 7) (マリオカート7 Mario Kāto Sebun) often abbreviated as MK7, is a game in the Mario Kart series. It was released for the Nintendo 3DS and is the seventh installment in the Mario Kart series (and the ninth installment in the whole series including the arcade installments). Ghost data is able to be exchanged and online gameplay is available in multiplayer mode in this game.
This installment allows players to customize their own vehicle instead of driving default vehicles in previous games, including custom parts such as hang gliders and propellers. Thanks to this, players can drive underwater and glide in mid air.
This game had many several radical changes to make it different from previous Mario Kart games.
Players now have the option of collecting coins while racing, making a return after Mario Kart: Super Circuit. At specific points in the game, the karts will sprout either hang gliders and propellers, allowing for racing in the air and underwater. This is the first time a character can go underwater.
The game also has kart customization options, allowing players to make custom karts out of a set of pieces, but some of the pieces need to be unlocked first. The game also introduces Retro Karts (Karts returning from other Mario Kart series)
Several courses from past Mario Kart games return in the Retro Cups, including SNES Rainbow Road, Wii Mushroom Gorge, GCN Daisy Cruiser, N64 Kalimari Desert, and GBA Bowser Castle 1. There are only three retro battle arenas, unlike in Mario Kart Wii, where there are six battle arenas.
Unlike Mario Kart Wii, which allowed twelve players each race, the game returns to the traditional eight characters per race, due to size limitations. To add on to this, bikes, which were introduced in Mario Kart Wii, do not return in this game, but the player is still able to perform tricks. However, Mario Kart 8 allows twelve players again.
- Daisy: Win the 150cc Mushroom Cup
- Wario: Win the 150cc Flower Cup
- Rosalina: Win the 150cc Star Cup
- Metal Mario: Win the 150cc Special Cup
- Shy Guy: Win the 150cc Shell Cup
- Honey Queen: Win the 150cc Banana Cup
- Wiggler: Win the 150cc Leaf Cup
- Lakitu: Win the 150cc Lightning Cup
- Mii: Win all cups in any engine class.
- Grand Goombas
- Tiki Goons
- Screaming Pillars
- Banzai Bills
- Rocky Wrenches
- Piranha Plants
- Mega Wigglers
- Bouncing Notes
- Walking Trees
- Shy Guys
- Waluigi (cameo on signs)
Like in Mario Kart Wii, certain characters receive specific boosts for stats depending on their weight class.
- Banana (Triple Bananas) 
- Green Shell (Triple Green Shells)
- Red Shell (Triple Red Shells)
- Spiny Shell (redesigned into a wingless form)
- Mushroom (Triple Mushrooms)
- Golden Mushroom
- Bullet Bill
- Coins (return from Mario Kart: Super Circuit and Super Mario Kart)
- Fire Flower (new)
- Super Leaf (new)
- Lucky 7 (new)
- Fake Item Box (from previous Mario Kart installments)
- Mega Mushroom (from Mario Kart Wii)
- Thunder Cloud (from Mario Kart Wii)
- POW Block (from Mario Kart Wii)
- Boo (from previous Mario Kart installments)
|Mushroom Cup||Flower Cup||Star Cup||Special Cup|
|Toad Circuit||Wuhu Loop||Piranha Plant Slide||DK Jungle|
|Daisy Hills||Mario Circuit||Wario Shipyard||Rosalina's Ice World|
|Cheep-Cheep Lagoon||Music Park||Neo Bowser City||Bowser's Castle|
|Shy Guy Bazaar||Rock Rock Mountain||Maka Wuhu||Rainbow Road|
|Shell Cup||Banana Cup||Leaf Cup||Lightning Cup|
|N64 Luigi Raceway||N64 Koopa Troopa Beach||N64 Kalimari Desert||Wii Koopa Cape|
|GBA Bowser Castle 1||SNES Mario Circuit 2||DS DK Pass||GCN Dino Dino Jungle|
|Wii Mushroom Gorge||Wii Coconut Mall||GCN Daisy Cruiser||DS Airship Fortress|
|DS Luigi's Mansion||DS Waluigi Pinball||Wii Maple Treeway||SNES Rainbow Road|
|GBA Battle Course 1||Honeybee Hive|
|N64 Big Donut||Sherbet Rink|
|DS Palm Shore||Wuhu Town|
Mario Kart 7 introduces the feature that allows players to customize their vehicle. Before racing, players are able to choose their body, tire and glider to have their kart built. The other parts require Coins to be unlocked. The build of the kart determines how the vehicle handles in situations.
Vehicle Parts and Stats
Each part can affect the statistics of the vehicle. The units of the stats are out of 6. The stats of Speed, Acceleration, Weight, Handling and Off-Road are only visible in-game. The list displays the names in North America, the European names will be displayed in parentheses under the North American names.
|Vehicle Part Bonuses|
|*Changes color, depending on the character.|
**Changes color, only when used by female characters.
The parts that are not required to be unlocked are the Standard body, Bolt Buggy, Birthday Girl, Standard tires, Monster, Roller and Super Glider. To unlock the other parts players must collect a certain amount of Coins to be collected from Grand Prix mode. Once the Coin amount is reached, a random part will be unlocked. Only the gold parts and Beast Glider have a certain criteria.
Players are able to unlock other vehicle parts through the following Coin amounts.
|Part||Standard Criteria||Coin Criteria|
|Gold Standard||Obtain at least 10000 VR.||Collect 20000 coins.|
|Gold Tires||Obtain a minimum of one star ranking in all cups of every engine class.||Collect 15000 coins.|
|Gold Glider||Have a minimum of 100 StreetPass hits.||Collect 10000 coins.|
|Gold Steering Wheel||Race in 100 races using gyro-controls for 80% of the time||-|
|Beast Glider||-||Collect 5000 coins. It's amount will decrease if players unlock kart parts via the StreetPass feature.|
Each course in Mario Kart 7 has two staff ghosts. One is a normal time and the other is an expert time, which is unlocked depending on the player's personal record in each course. Staff ghosts may be from Nintendo or Retro Studios.
Expert Staff Ghosts
|Course||Staff Name||Time||Character||Kart Body||Tires||Glider|
|Toad Circuit||Nin★ishi||01:26.632||Toad||Standard||Monster||Super Glider|
|Daisy Hills||Nin★SASAKI||01:51.111||Daisy||Birthday Girl||Sponge||Super Glider|
|Cheep Cheep Lagoon||Nin★Tkdr||01:42.011||Peach||Tiny Tug||Roller||Peach Parasol|
|Shy Guy Bazaar||Ret★RWO||02:14.714||Shy Guy||Pipe Frame||Monster||Paraglider|
|Wuhu Loop||Nin★nkm||01:32.854||Peach||Pipe Frame||Slick||Peach Parasol|
|Mario Circuit||Nin★raba||02:10.018||Mario||B Dasher||Slick||Super Glider|
|Music Park||Nin★Masa||0207.511||Rosalina||Soda Jet||Roller||Paraglider|
|Rock Rock Mountain||Nin★Hiroma||02:19.149||Wiggler||Standard||Mushroom||Flower Glider|
|Piranha Plant Slide||Nin★JIKU||02:06.540||Lakitu||Cloud 9||Sponge||Paraglider|
|Wario Shipyard||Nin★syun1||02:12.313||Wario||Bruiser||Slim||Beast Glider|
|Neo Bowser City||Ret★Matt M||01:58.996||Metal Mario||Blue Seven||Monster||Paraglider|
|Maka Wuhu||Nin★Chucky||01:39.361||Yoshi||Standard||Monster||Super Glider|
|DK Jungle||Ret★Dupree||02:10.777||Donkey Kong||Standard||Wood||Swooper|
|Rosalina's Ice World||Ret★Dax||02:13.091||Rosalina||Zucchini||Red Monster||Super Glider|
|Bowser's Castle||Ret★Tom||02:15.244||Bowser||Bruiser||Red Monster||Beast Glider|
|Rainbow Road||Nin★Asakur||01:52.077||Queen Bee||Bumble V||Standard||Flower Glider|
|N64 Luigi Raceway||Nin★miyakw||01:52.206||Luigi||Pipe Frame||Slick||Paraglider|
|GBA Bowser Castle 1||Nin★hokwai||01:22.221||Bowser||Koopa Clown||Roller||Super Glider|
|Wii Mushroom Gorge||Ret★Jay||01:50.526||Toad||Pipe Frame||Monster||Super Glider|
|DS Luigi's Mansion||Ret★Vince||01:58.539||Luigi||Egg 1||Monster||Paraglider|
|N64 Koopa Troopa Beach||Nin★ueda||01:42.909||Koopa Troopa||Soda Jet||Sponge||Paraglider|
|SNES Mario Circuit 2||Nin★==Kony||01:17.777||Mario||B Dasher||Slick||Super Glider|
|Wii Coconut Mall||Ret★RyanP||02:14.167||Queen Bee||Koopa Clown||Sponge||Paraglider|
|DS Waluigi Pinball||Nin★Nahhr||02:27.574||Wario||Bruiser||Slim||Beast Glider|
|N64 Kalimari Desert||Nin★KOZ★||01:48.707||Shy Guy||Bolt Buggy||Red Monster||Beast Glider|
|DS DK Pass||Nin★MaTU||02:16.534||Donkey Kong||Bolt Buggy||Red Monster||Paraglider|
|GCN Daisy Cruiser||Ret★Carlos||01:43.341||Daisy||Tiny Tug||Sponge||Peach Parasol|
|Wii Maple Treeway||Ret★Bill||02:34.877||Wiggler||Egg 1||Sponge||Flower Glider|
|Wii Koopa Cape||Ret★Shane||02:28.585||Koopa Troopa||Cact-X||Standard||Flower Glider|
|DS Airship Fortress||Ret★Shane||02:07.704||Metal Mario||Standard||Monster||Super Glider|
|GCN Dino Dino Jungle||Ret★Will||02:14.430||Yoshi||Egg 1||Monster||Paraglider|
|SNES Rainbow Road||Nin★SRIWtm||01:21.994||Lakitu||Cloud 9||Roller||Paraglider|
The 3D in this game is praised by most players and critics. Things such as flower petals and bats will fly at the player in this game. Another thing noticed that had never been done before was the competition the player's character's face had. For example, when Mario and Luigi get close to each other, they would stare at each other competitively and keep an eye on each other. This was something new that never had been done before in a Mario Kart game. The game's frame rate is at about sixty frames per second, even in online matches, which is good (considering the fact that online gameplay in Mario Kart Wii was slower by around 30 to 40 frames per second).
The game was an outstanding success according to its reviews. Mario Kart 7 has received worldwide critical acclaim. The first review, from Famitsu, gave the game a 37/40. They praised the Community feature, making the game more accessible and finding the opponents using StreetPass was also a positive feature. The reviewer states that it's accessible enough that even new players can enjoy it, and when you get into it, you really get into it. Computer and Video Games gave the game a 9.4/10 and Eurogamer gave it an 8/10. Nintendo World Report gave the game a 8.5, stating that it is more of the same and the gliding mechanics feel underutilized.
It currently holds an 85/100 rating on Metacritic based on 60 critic reviews. The game is currently the top on Global Charts according to VGChartz as it has currently sold 2,115,873 copies worldwide under 15 days.
- This is the only main Mario Kart game where Wario is an unlockable character, excluding the japanese version of Mario Kart Arcade GP DX, since arcade games are considered separate.
- Waluigi is absent as a playable character in this game making this the first and only Mario Kart game since his first appearance in a Mario Kart game in Mario Kart: Double Dash!! where Waluigi is not playable. However, his course Waluigi Pinball does, and signs depicting Waluigi can be found all around the course.
- This game is the first handheld game that Rosalina appears in.
- When unlocking a new kart part, if the player goes to the Mario Kart Channel to change parts, no jingle sound will play and the gift icon will not be there. However, still going into the Grand Prix or Time Trials, the gift icon will be there.
- This is the second Mario Kart game that has a number for a title, the first one being Mario Kart 64.
References in Other Media
- Super Mario Bros.: Piranha Plant Pipeway is made in a Super Mario Bros. tileset-like way, but with it looking a bit more modern.
- Super Mario Bros. 2: Shy Guy Bazaar's appearance looks a lot like many locations in Super Mario Bros. 2 do and has Magic Carpets ridden by Shy Guys and vases looking the same as the ones Cobrats would come out of.
- Donkey Kong Country Returns: DK Jungle is in appearance very similar to the Jungle world in Donkey Kong Country Returns. The music comes from Donkey Kong Country Returns, too.
- ↑ Nintendo Developer's Roundtable
- ↑ 3DS Price Drop and Release Dates for 3DS Mario Titles Revealed
- ↑ http://mariokart7.com
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 http://www.gamexplain.com/article-206-1277505938-mario-kart-3ds-uncovered-heres-what-we-know.html
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=251895
- ↑ http://www.gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=160147
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 http://ds.ign.com/articles/109/1098453p1.html
|Super Mario Kart · Mario Kart 64 · Mario Kart: Super Circuit · Mario Kart: Double Dash!! · Mario Kart DS · Mario Kart Wii · Mario Kart 7 · Mario Kart 8 · Mario Kart 8 Deluxe|
|Mario Kart Arcade GP · Mario Kart Arcade GP 2 · Mario Kart Arcade GP DX|