Question Block artwork from Super Mario 3D World
|First Game||Super Mario Bros. (1985)|
|Appearances||Super Mario series|
Mario Party series
Paper Mario series
|Effects||Releases an item|
Releases a Coin
The Question Block, also known as a Mystery Block, Prize Block, or ? Block, is a recurring item in the Mario series. It is a block which, when hit, released an item such as a Super Mushroom or a Coin. Mario can either jump on the box, use a Koopa Troopa's shell to hit it, or Ground Pound on it to reveal the contents.
Question Blocks first appear in Paper Mario after the veranda collapses. The first Question Block that Mario encounters is unable to be hit when he first comes across it. After finding the hammer, Mario is able to hit the block. The first block that Mario encounters released a coin.
In addition to coins, Question Blocks may dispel items such as Sleepy Sheep or others which can be used during battle.
As well as regular Question Blocks, there are also Red Question Blocks which appear in Paper Mario. The first Red Question Block that Mario encounters is on Goomba Road and it releases a Close Call badge.
- They appear and function the same as its predecessor.
- Question Blocks function like in the Platforming series.
- Question Blocks appear like the other games.
In these two games, Question Blocks work differently. They disappear after becoming empty and can't be hit with a ground pound. They also only release coins.
Aside from the regular Question Blocks, red Questions Blocks can be found in this game. They have spikes on either the top or bottom and repeatedly rotate 180 degrees. They can be found in World 4 and World 6.
They only appear in Coin Block Blitz, where players have to hit it to gain coins.
Items from ? Blocks
- Mushrooms (If Mario or Luigi are Small Mario/Luigi)
- Fire Flower (If Mario or Luigi are Super Mario/Luigi)
- Ice Flower (If Mario or Luigi are Super Mario/Luigi)
- Mini Mushrooms
- Mega Mushrooms
- Power Flowers
- Boos (New Super Mario Bros. series only)
- Blue Switches
- Red Switches
- ? Switches
- Cape Feather
- Super Leaf
- Poison Mushroom
- Gold Flower (New Super Mario Bros. 2)
- Gold Mushroom (New Super Mario Bros. 2)
- Poison Mushroom